Campus and Facilities
You’ll have a hard time finding a diving school whose facilities contain as many educational elements as CDI. Our facility is brand new and includes three 21,000-gallon tanks on its 2.8-acre property. Each tank contains enough space and viewing portals for instructors to assist students inside or outside the tank.
While their work in our tanks gives our students experience in a simulated environment, they’ll gain essential real-world knowledge while training in Lake Pleasant just miles from our central campus. Instructors and students regularly make use of the lake, making it an important component of our educational experience.
Our goal isn’t just to develop skills but also to develop camaraderie and lifelong relationships between our students. This helps build a sense of responsibility to other divers whose lives may depend on you and help increase the bandwidth of our network of former students.
1. Divers should bring comfortable swim gear, sandals, and a large beach-style towel. Several changing-rooms and lockers (bring your own padlock) are available on-site.
2. Divers must be in overall good health, not pregnant, and capable of supporting a 40 lb. helmet on their head/shoulders (helmet becomes neutral while underwater).
3. We are unable to accommodate divers with chronic breathing problems such as Asthma, and we cannot allow intoxicated persons to complete the dives.
4. Please be advised that long beards may prevent the helmet from sealing correctly and may require you to cut it on site if you wish to complete the dive. Short facial hair is fine.
5. For most dives, we will have underwater video equipment in place to record your activities from inside the tank. Photos/videos of the diver suiting up and through the viewing windows by family/friends is always encouraged, though we must ask that you not bring any of your own devices into the tank for safety reasons. You may purchase the raw underwater footage for $25 ($5 for students/military with current ID), or the raw footage as well as an edited version highlighting the facility, your name, exciting moments, and other content you might request for $50 ($30 for students/military with current ID).
6. A signed Helmet Experience Medical Waiver (click to view).
WHAT TO BRING
Commercial Divers International is excited to be the only diver training school in the country offering anyone in appropriate physical shape a chance to experience the conditions an underwater, surface-supplied diver faces. The full-helmet diver experience is a great chance for people hoping to better their life working in the commercial diving industry get acquainted with the equipment they will be using in the field before committing to a 7-month program, and is also geared towards anyone looking to enjoy the thrill.
The diver experience is a half-day beginning with an approximately twenty minute safety and training video, then two separate dives in our facilities’ training tanks, with a total underwater time of about 30 – 60 minutes per individual diver.
Typical underwater activities include simulated flanging up of a pipeline, mechanical construction projects, mechanical puzzles, limited visibility puzzles, and more. Specific tank setup and activity will depend on your booking date, and please feel free to let us know if there is something specific you are interested in doing while underwater.
Our tanks have great visibility and side viewing windows for family and friends to watch or record the dive, though unfortunately we must ask you not to bring any devices underwater for safety reasons.
We have our own cameras setup in the tank and are able to provide you with the footage of your dive for a small additional fee.